Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iffy clutch pedal on my '02 KB

Roll Cage Essential Roll Cage Essential

Iffy clutch pedal on my '02 KB

My '02 KB 280 DT DC recently had its clutch replaced and I've noticed that setting the pedal play in the clutch slave either finds it almost flat on the floor or near the top and it seems to build up if it's up top and the pedal gets hard as Iron Man poo.

Only thing that I can think of is that the clutch master seals that have probably failed. The bakkie does have 230 000 on the clock and on the paperwork, I can find no mention of it ever being replaced.

Is this a DIY job to either replace the slave or to maybe look at honing the slave and fitting a kit? I can see the two bolts that hold the master to the firewall as well as the clutch pedal box that's mounted to the firewall with 4 bolts. I have honed clutch masters, brake masters and wheel cylinders in the past, but getting it out and in my hand is the only part that I'm worried about. I'm thinking that it looks like I can just pull out the clutch master without taking out the whole box.

My makkie wants an hour and a half to do this and that translates into about R600 and that's for replacement for a R700 odd pirate part. I want either OEM GM master or a kit. Anyone have an idea on price?

Anyone ever done this before?

Cheers

- G
    Last edited by flatfourfan; 14-07-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Just called to find the price on an OEM clutch master.

Master Cylinder for the clutch - R3165
    Clutch slave - R1329

Rebuild kit for the slave - R280.
    No kits available for the master.

What a freaking rip off.

Midas kit works perfect, under R50... Easy job. The trick is, inspect firewall when its out for cracks, this can happen. Slave complete at midas 120... They work fine.
    Jaco
    2001 "300" Frontier DT lx 4x4, klaar groot!
    98 KB 280 Le DC 4x4 - Ex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]135

Midas can slave kit can differ to original, at R120 get a complete slave rather...
    Jaco
    98 KB 280 Le DC 4x4 - Ex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]135

Crappy job if you are big bodied.... Wonder if jvg ever done that...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Team Bacchus-Never A Dull Moment!!!

Cheers guys. I'm going to get a kit tonight for the master as well as the complete slave as I've heard that they differ somewhat.

Where does the firewall crack/ tear? By the MC mounting points?

If it is cracked/ torn, can I just co2 the sucker or do is there another long term fix like welding in a plate that's recommended?

Where nuts pull mc tight..
    Jaco
    98 KB 280 Le DC 4x4 - Ex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]135

So. Make 3mm plate that fits inside, slave will go throught it, smear with sealer for face going against fw. Install master, tighten up, do regardless if torn or not. Will save it in future. Dont weld it. Just clamping it like this spreads the load and sorts it. Ill take pic of mine later.
    Jaco
    98 KB 280 Le DC 4x4 - Ex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]135

awesome, much appreciated. I'm planning on keeping this suzi for a while, so I have no problem making long term plans.

Cheers.

Super Modified Super Modified JvG's Avatar
    Dewald. Se jy miskien dat ek dik is? Nee ek het dit nog nie gedoen nie. Isuzu verkoop voor ek dit moes doen...
    Jan
    2011 3.0D4D Fortuner 4x4

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]