Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Iffy clutch pedal on my '02 KB

Climb Pavements Climb Pavements Gordon's Avatar
    I agree that it is not the flywheel- but swollen rubber pipes or master and /or slave cylinders pistons sticking, will cause what you are describing.
    When I say swollen, I mean internally swollen so they block up.
    Last edited by Gordon; 28-01-2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: xtra sentence
    My Mini grew up -2001 280 DT LX Frontier 4x2, Camil Suspension,front intercooler.

Roll Cage Essential Roll Cage Essential
    My slave is still OEM and it's as dry as the US during prohibition. My master on the other hands is another thing altogether.

I also noticed something this morning when I was driving it. The master actually makes a very feint fwieping sound (yes honestly that's what it does), so I'll get hold of Joe this week and pull everything out next weekend. I hate the underside of that dash. lol.
    Last edited by flatfourfan; 28-01-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: because.........
    2002 Isuzu KB280 TD D/C 4x2.

So I’ve been talking to Joe about what I need to do and we’ve identified a way forward.

Some possible issues were
    Distorted, bent or rippled clutch fork – negative
    Sleeve where the thrust bearing buts up against - negative
    Gouged or ridged flywheel – negative, we’ve since confirmed that it has been skimmed about 30 000km ago and when inspected and ran true, it was found to have no issues.
    Worn clutch dampener – as far as I know I don’t have one of these.
    Shot clutch slave – very unlikely as it’s still OEM, no pitting, has brand new oem seals and is dry as a bone.
    Shot clutch master – VERY VERY likely.

I had the clutch master out the night before last and it’s damp. I think even more so than last time. I’ve decided to do this first as I know it’s not good. Quality on this part has always been suspect. Joe is a pretty knowledgeable chap and we spoke about a few other things and he reckons actually gearbox out, flywheel skim/ replace and go over everything. But if I can avoid that, then changing this part first is fine with me. I think that I’ve found my new favorite supplier.

Ordered the part and I should have it next week. R780 with shipping, which I think is more than fair. Midas are selling the clutch master by them for R830.

Will fit the part next weekend and give some feedback.

Great- I am sure you will find it is the MC. Seals get sticky/ swollen and it all goes to pot. You using Dot4 fluid? Also, take the pipe off the slave and just make sure there isnt a small piece of old seal stuck in the pipe or slave.
    My Mini grew up -2001 280 DT LX Frontier 4x2, Camil Suspension,front intercooler.

Well, we did it. The part arrived 3 days after I ordered and paid for it with Joe.

All in all I was in the job for about 2 hours and most of that time was spent on my back under the dash.

I'm happy to say that the job is sorted....the clutch feels so smooth and I can actually feel that the engine doesn't seem to rev after shifting...(aka...slipping) at first I thought, crap, this thing is aggresive, until I got used to it. Engages smooth, feels direct and no pressure build up on the pedal. It's also super quiet.

I just need to adjust the rod by maybe 2-3mm as the pedal is a bit on the floor, but I have tonnes of space at the top, so I'll be plenty safe.

Overall.......I'm happy. Pics to follow as soon as I make them smaller as this place is fussy like that.

Cheers for all the help and advice and also thanks to Joe if he ever reads this.